According to a recent assessment, the Canadian trucking industry would be short 48,000 long-haul drivers by 2024. This is fantastic news for truck drivers because it will provide an excellent chance for anyone wishing to immigrate to Canada for this type of profession.
Furthermore, the Canadian transportation industry continues to experience high demand and job openings for long-haul truck drivers. The Canadian government has also been supportive of all of these developments, providing work visas to suitable foreign employees seeking work as truck drivers in the country.
Truck Driver Job Requirements in Canada (With Visa Sponsorship)
Let’s take a look at the prerequisites for getting a truck driver job in Canada. This will help you know what’s required to get a visa sponsorship truck driver job being a foreigner in Canada.
They include the following
- Truck driver jobs in Canada include permanent, full-time, overtime, weekend, day, night, and evening works.
- A secondary school diploma is preferred but not essential for this position.
- Heavy-duty driving expertise is a plus, but it is not essential.
- The ability to communicate in basic or functional English is necessary.
- Certificates, Licenses, memberships, courses, and other credentials will be required for this job.
- A valid driver’s license (Class 1 or A) is necessary, as well as the Air Brake (Z) Endorsement.
- Trucking and Equipment Types: Tractor-trailer, Flatbed, Refrigerated, Highway, Straight truck (4,600kg+ or 10,000lbs+ with 3+ axles).
- Safety and Security: Basic security clearance, criminal background check, driving record check (abstract), medical examination, and drug test are all required.
- Information about transportation and travel: Willing to travel throughout Canada and the United States. Willing to travel during the day, evening, or night, including overnight routes, and willing to travel for long periods of time.
- Other: Candidates must be legally permitted to work in Canada and willing to operate in a two-person team to drive long-haul trucks.
RECOMMENDED: USA, Australia & Canada Visa Lottery Process
- Ability to operate and drive straight or articulated trucks for the transportation of products and supplies.
- Cargo loading and unloading, tarping, and guaranteeing cargo safety and security
- Ability to plan your trip routes and schedules.
- You should have the ability to use atlases and other planning tools to help you plan your journey.
- Receive information and relay it to the central dispatcher.
- The ability to drive in a convoy or as part of a two-person squad.
- You should also be able to examine the vehicle’s condition and inspect the tires, lights, brakes, cold storage, and other equipment.
Top Provincial Programs in Canada for Truck Driver Jobs
Here is a list of the top sources for finding a truck driver job in Canada that will sponsor your visa:
A provincial initiative in Canada’s British Columbia is designed for truck drivers. For candidates in British Columbia’s entry-level and semi-skilled category, which has over 400 positions on the job bank, a full-time job offer in long-haul trucking is the ideal scenario.Long-haul drivers are allowed to settle permanently in the province.Visit their website to learn more about immigration in British Columbia. at https://www.immigration.ca/british-columbia-immigration/.
Access Quebec website at https://www.immigration.ca/en/quebecimmigrationprovincial.html.
Saskatchewan Immigration has a separate Long-Haul Truck Drivers Sub-Category for people who are already working in Canada on a work permit. The occupation is also eligible for the province’s Express Entry and Occupations In-Demand draws, which each target specific occupations.
Transport Truck Drivers (NOC 7511) are one of two target jobs in the Occupations In-Demand Stream of the Nova Scotia Nominee Program. This gives drivers with a clear path to permanent residence.
Through this program, you can apply for a truck driver job in Canada with visa sponsorship.
Visit the Manitoba immigration website at https://www.immigration.ca/en/manitoba-immigration.html to discover more.